Wallace State Advising Center FAQ


Center for Student SuccessAm I exempt from taking the Accuplacer placement test?

Students are exempt from Accuplacer if:

  • ACT subject score of 17 in English and math.  This allows for placement into ENG 101 & ENG 099 and/or MTH 100 & MTH 099, where the 099 courses provide one hour each week of built-in support. A subject score of 18 or higher allows for placement directly into ENG 101 and/or MTH 100. For this exemption, ACT score is valid for five years.
  • If the ACT score is below 17 or if no ACT scores exist, students can be exempted through their high school GPA and coursework. An overall high school GPA of 2.75 or higher and a grade of C in 12th Grade English and Algebra II provides direct placement into MTH 100/099 and/or ENG 101/099. An overall high school GPA of 2.75 or higher, and a grade of B or higher in 12th Grade English and Algebra II provides direct placement into MTH 100 and/or ENG 101.  For this exemption, GPA and course grades are valid for five years.
  • If ACT and high school GPA and grade markers do not meet the above requirements, Accuplacer assessment must be taken to determine placement for English and Math.
  • Accuplacer is given on the 9th floor of the Bailey Center. Please call 256-352-8248 to make an appointment. There is no charge for the initial Accuplacer assessment.

What majors are offered at Wallace State?

  • Wallace State features four meta-majors:

Liberal Arts & General Studies — Business, Criminal Justice, Dance, Forensic Psychology, Dance, Graphic Art & Design, Music Education, Paralegal, transfer students

Applied Technologies — Horticulture, Auto Service, Collision Repair, Diesel Technology, Welding, Machine Tool, HVAC, Engineering Technology, Salon and Spa Management, Mechatronics, Culinary, Building Construction, Aviation

Health Sciences — Nursing, Physical Therapy Assistant, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Radiology, Sonography, Dental Hygiene and Assisting, Child Development, Medical Lab, Medical Assisting, Health Information Technology, EMS, Respiratory Therapy, Pharmacy Technology, Polysomnography

STEM – Engineering, Computer Science, Geospatial Technology, Poultry Science 

What scholarships are available at Wallace?

  • Presidential Scholarship 
  • Academic Excellence Scholarships 
  • Leadership Scholarships 
  • Performing Arts Scholarships 
  • Allied Health and Nursing Scholarships
  • Career/Technical Scholarships 
  • Alumni and Future Foundation Scholarships

*All scholarship information available at www.wallacestate.edu/financial-aid

How many semesters are in a year, and how long is a semester?

  • Spring semester - January – May
  • Summer semester - May – August
  • Fall semester - August – December

When does registration begin for each semester?

  • Spring registration—opens in November
  • Summer registration—opens in April
  • Fall registration—opens in June

*Specific registration dates are available on the academic calendar.

What are mini-terms?

  • Mini-terms are smaller semesters embedded within a full-length semester. There are two mini-terms in one semester. Mini-terms typically start at the beginning and middle of each semester.

What are flex-start courses?

  • Flex-start courses provide opportunities for students to register later in the semester. Classes are available for registration up to two weeks after classes begin.  

How do I know who my advisor is?

  • Students can find their assigned advisor in two ways: in Degree Works and in myWallaceState. In Degree Works, a student’s advisor will be listed at the top of their degree plan. In myWallaceState, students can click the Student tab, then click Student Records, then click View Student Information.

How do I contact the Advising Center?

  • Advisors can be reached via phone at 256.352.8040, via email at advising@wallacestate.edu, and students are welcome to come by the office on the first floor of the Bailey Center.

Can I make an appointment with my advisor?

How often should I meet with my advisor?

  • At least once per semester. However, anytime you have an academic or personal need, stop by and speak to your advisor. The more you see your advisor, the better he/she can help you.  

What are the most used technologies at Wallace State?

  • myWallaceState
  • Blackboard
  • WSCC Email

How are classes taught?

  • Traditional—on-campus, day and evening
  • Hybrid—meets in class and requires online coursework
  • Online—done through Blackboard and/or additional online software packages

What is a credit hour?

  • College courses are measured in credit hours and most courses are three credit hours. Your tuition amount is based on the number of credit hours you take, and graduation requires a set number of earned credit hours.

What is considered a full-time student?

  • 12 credit hours or more is considered full-time.

What is considered a part-time student?

  • Any amount under 12 credit hours is considered part-time.

Does Wallace State offer tutoring?

  • Yes and it is FREE. Visit the tutoring lab on the 8th floor of the Bailey Center. 

What is the Alabama Transfers?

  • A legally binding contract that ensures successful transfer between two-year and four-year public institutions in Alabama.  

What is the Residual ACT?

  • The residual ACT is administered, proctored, and scored by Wallace State and is designed for Wallace State students only. The score can only be transferred to another Alabama community college.  

What is CLEP?

  • The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is an exam that, when passed, awards college credit for applicable courses. A listing of available CLEP exams is in the Wallace State catalog. Call 256-352-8248 to schedule a CLEP appointment.

What is PLA?

  • Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a way to evaluate on-the-job experience, training, skills and/or certificates for college credit. For more information, contact 256.352.7839.